Monday 29 June 2009

The Worlds Largest Cruise Liner

Personally, I blame Farrel and Jane, on the day they announced they had booked a cruise on the worlds largest cruise liner; The Independence Of The Seas.

It dawned on me that it would be a lovely surprise for the family if I were to book the same. It was our 40th birthday year, so it also seemed like an ideal opportunity to do something special, and different.

Before I continue, let me give you the technical facts about the ship:
Guest Capacity: 3,634 double occupancy
Gross Tonnage: 160,000
Length: 1,112'
Max Beam: 184'
Draft: 28'
Cruising Speed: 21.6 knots (24.9 mph/40 kmph)

In all, 15 decks of accommodation and entertainment.

I thought long and hard, even checking with Jane if it was OK for us to join them. I know it's a big ship, but it's also an expensive holiday; I didn't want to intrude.

In the middle of May 2008, I called and made enquiries as to cabins (or Staterooms as they're known!) and decks, availability and prices.

What the hell, I thought. To use a well-known phrase; "Life is like a box of chocolates; you have no idea what's next"; or something like that.

So, without too much thought, and without discussing it with anyone, I called back and confirmed the reservation. Two adjoining cabins, on Deck 9, departing on 15th August 2009.
15 months away.
12 months to save up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback